Drop by Fitness Corner this season to help support this great program or bring a Toonie to our Christmas Luncheon or Wine & Cheese Cookie Exchange if you would like to contribute.
The Community Kitchen was implemented in 2004 to assist people in a number of life skills areas. This group is open to anyone in the community interested in meeting on the 2nd Friday of each month at the Lutheran Church in Port Elgin. A group of 10-12 participants cook a meal together, eat lunch and then take leftovers home. There is no cost to the participants.
The benefits of this program:
- Teaching skills in meal planning and preparation
- Showing how to prepare balanced healthy meals in a cost-effective way
- Focusing on the safe handling of foods
- Teaching the nutritional values of foods
- Helping those who are experiencing isolation by providing a supportive environment to meet with people
- Assisting with specialized diet requests i.e. Diabetic diets